Shawanda Bonner Morgan is a dear friend and a high school teacher in Lakeland, Florida. In this episode, she shares with us about her pandemic wedding, the importance of story, how she connects with her students, and the impact we have on one another. She opens up in a vulnerable way about her own story growing up in foster care and how that has influenced her identity. We talk about racial reconciliation and what that could look like, and Shawanda shares with me why she’s hopeful about the direction our country is headed.
You will love this conversation!
Links to things we talked about…
- Check out the beautiful Annie Pfeiffer Chapel at Florida Southern College, built by Frank Lloyd Wright, where Shawanda’s wedding was planned.
- The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
- The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
- Across that Bridge by John Lewis
- South Africa’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission
Connect with Shawanda!
- More info about her business Carol Diane Handmade Fashions and Accessories to come!