This episode is a recording of a live interview panel discussion all things Juneteenth. We discuss what Juneteenth is, why it’s important, and how we can celebrate, especially those of us who are white and may be wondering how we can engage in an honest and respectful way. We also discuss patriotism, what it is, what it isn’t, and what it might look like for people who are seeking to be honest about US history and present day circumstances.
Links to things we talked about…
- For more information about the impact of The Black Church, watch the documentary on PBS.
- I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness is a book by Austin Channing Brown with an insightful look at Black patriotism.
- Learn more about the Slave Bible
- Sandra Maria Van Opstal
- National Association of Black Counselors
- How to Fight Racism: Courageous Christianity and the Journey Toward Racial Justice by Jemar Tisby